Sessions of this class are scheduled for the following dates. Classes typically meet from 8:30 AM to 7 PM or later on scheduled days.
Sunday, May 12, 2024 9:00 am- Wednesday, May 15, 2024 7:00 pm Registration opens: November 16, 2023
Sunday, June 23, 2024 9:00 am- Wednesday, June 26, 2024 7:00 pm Registration opens: November 16, 2023
Sunday, July 21, 2024 9:00 am- Wednesday, July 24, 2024 7:00 pm Registration opens: November 16, 2023
Sunday, September 1, 2024 9:00 am- Wednesday, September 4, 2024 7:00 pm Registration opens: November 16, 2023
Sunday, October 13, 2024 9:00 am- Wednesday, October 16, 2024 7:00 pm Registration opens: November 16, 2023
Please read the Health Safeguards tab and decide if our class experience is the right one for you. We require vaccinations against Covid-19 and the flu. You'll be asked to confirm your agreement when you register.
Our Boot Camp Classes in Navajo Weaving Techniques class bring our popular four-day intensive format to Gallup’s Arts and Cultural district! Class starts on Sunday and lasts four intense days, ending on Wednesday evening.
Our class will meet from 9 AM to 7 PM, and we will have visits with Gallup traders like Bill Malone and Perry Null. We invite area weavers to stop by. Plenty of shopping is nearby, so your breaks are guaranteed to be exciting! Boot camp is geared to weavers of all levels and has a 3/1 teacher/student ratio to get the attention you need to progress.
Instructors: Jennie Slick and Gloria Begay
What you can learn in Boot Camp Classes in Navajo Weaving Techniques
- Loom warping
- Basic weaving
- Basic joins
Advanced topics available:
- Side selvage cord use
- Designing for weavability
- Computer-based design options
- Combining joins
- Twill techniques
- Wedge weave
- Raised outline
There are no prerequisites for beginners. We will tailor more advanced topics to your individual needs.
Essential Details about Navajo Weaving Techniques Boot Camp in Gallup
Tuition for the class is $450 and includes the use of a loom and tools for the course duration. You may also bring your loom subject to space limitations. You will warp the loom on the first day of class.
Accommodations: It is your responsibility to make lodging reservations. The Best Western Plus (one mile from our store) is the closest hotel to Weaving in Beauty. The El Rancho Hotel is quite close to our store. It is historic, fun, and quirky. It is NOT a Hilton, and if you have issues with accessibility, we suggest another hotel (one of the quirks of the hotel is that the bathrooms are, umm, unconventional). There are over 2000 hotel rooms in Gallup, so you should be able to find something that works for you!
A deposit is required to hold a seat in any class. You must pay your tuition in full before your class begins. If you cannot attend the session that you have registered for, you may move to another session at no additional cost by paying any difference in tuition if there is space available. Registration deposits are non-refundable unless we cancel the class, but you can transfer to another class with open space at no charge.
If we cancel a class due to low enrollment, you’ll receive a full refund of all the fees you’ve paid, or you can transfer to another session with space. We will make this determination as soon as possible and inform you immediately should we need to do it. You can’t anticipate conditions like weather, employment, and medical emergencies, so we highly recommend that you purchase trip insurance to cover the portions of your itinerary that may not be refundable.
We take the safety of our students and instructors very seriously. Many of our students and both of our instructors are in groups that are at high risk of complications from Covid-19 and RSV. We now have two years of experience with in-person classes in the post-pandemic timeframe.
All of our instructors and our staff are fully vaccinated against COVID-19, the flu, and we will be getting the RSV vaccine when available. We have installed a UV-C HEPA filter in the classroom. We have hand sanitizer and soap readily available at all times. We are catering lunch every day (included in your tuition).
Here is what we are asking of our students. If you are not willing to comply with our safeguards, please don’t register. If there’s a compliance issue, you’ll be asked to leave class, and no refund or store credit will be offered to you. Yeah, we mean it, and we don’t want to do it. What are you agreeing to? Here goes:
- All students must be fully vaccinated against Covid-19 and should have a current flu vaccine. Please bring proof of vaccination with you.
- Please do a Covid self-test within 24 hours of the start of your class. If you do not have a test, we’ll provide one for you.
- All students and staff will follow CDC and state of New Mexico guidelines for masking. We have KN95 masks available for your convenience. Right now, there aren’t any requirements, and we have been doing classes without masks. We’ll advise you of any changes.
- If you are ill, please don’t come. If you have allergies or are otherwise symptomatic, we will require that you show a negative test result to attend class
- If you develop Covid-19 symptoms during the class, you’ll need to isolate and get a Covid-19 test immediately. If you test positive for Covid-19, you’ll be leaving class and will not be able to return for the rest of your session. We will do everything possible to help you quarantine and travel home safely.
- If someone in your class tests positive, our remaining field trips will be canceled and you’ll be asked to test daily for the remainder of your class.
- Maintain social distance between yourself and others to the extent possible. That’s why our classes are limited to six or fewer students.
We cannot guarantee that you won’t become ill if you travel, but we will do everything that we can to keep you and our staff healthy.
Only logged in customers who have purchased this product may leave a review.
Venue: Weaving in Beauty World Headquarters
Coordinates: 35.526967675189795, -108.74368990283727